Click here to view submission questions.
Chief Executive Officer of the Year
The Chief Executive Officer of the Year award winner will be an individual who is:
- An outstanding leader and communicator
- An integral part of the firm’s growth and/or profitability
- An individual skilled at taking calculated risks that lead to success
- A leader in the technology or life science community
Financial Executive of the Year
The Financial Executive of the Year award winner will be an individual who:
- Exhibits sound business acumen, smart forecasting and the ability to lead and inspire their company to higher growth and financial achievement
- Commits strongly to ethical business conduct and sound financial judgment
- Applies influence through their role as financial executive to make a significant contribution to the financial profession
- Transforms and shapes the successful financial performance of the organization
- Demonstrates outstanding skills with board and senior management
Life Science Company of the Year and Technology Company of the Year
The Life Science Company of the Year and Technology Company of the Year award winners will have:
- Innovative products and services relevant to the market
- Strong long-term prospects for business
- Evidence of market details including: market penetration, potential/proven impact on the market, and positive influence on the marketplace
- Achieved significant, measurable success (e.g., research or technical breakthrough or product approval)
- Achieved significant business milestones (e.g., merger, acquisition, license, major funding, revenue)
- Crisply executed its business plan
- Helped foster a vibrant life science or technology community
- Participated/sponsored industry activities and programs
Government Contracting Company of the Year
The Government Contracting Company of the Year award winner will have:
- Achieved measurable success as evidenced by growth in revenue and profitability either through organic growth or acquisition
- Developed critical expertise in its service to the government
- Improved the level of service or cut costs of either the government or a prime contractor
- Demonstrated success in partnering with other contracting firms in the region
- Made contributions to national security
Emerging Company of the Year (under $25,000,000)
The Emerging Company of the Year award winner will have:
- Strong strategic direction that will clearly differentiate this company from others in their chosen market space
- Ability to develop innovative products or services
- Technology based development that represents a disruptive
technology, a platform technology, or is targeting a critical market need
- Demonstrated ability to attract resources and growth in financial performance
Nominations to the IAC are open to all companies and individuals who have done business in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia during 2017. You do not have to be a MTC member to nominate.
Entry Form Submissions
Entries must be submitted via the online form by the deadline date. When submitting an entry, please refer to the criteria information under each category.
A nominating committee has been formed of leading businessmen and women in the Washington Metro area. There are different ways a company or executive can be nominated: self-nomination, nominated by the committee, or client nominations.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged in any category and all entries will be judged separately.
Entries will be judged on the basis of the information provided to the judges on the entry form. The most effective nominations will include a brief company and/or product description, a brief financial performance summary, a report on the company’s performance, and highlights of the executive’s accomplishments and why they should be considered an award winner.
All financial data will be held in the strictest confidence. It will only be reviewed by the nominating committee and judging panel.
- A nominating committee will review all submissions, and the strongest applications will be moved to the qualified nominations category.
- The nominating committee will conduct formal interviews to receive further information on the qualified nominations.
- Judges will receive all qualified nominations accompanied with a written letter from the nominating committee.
- An independent panel of judges comprised of peers from industry and past MTC IAC winners will select the finalists and award recipients. Maryland Tech Council personnel will not be involved in the judging process.
- The finalists will be announced in mid-April, followed by a finalists’ reception in their honor. The winners will be announced at the event on May 17, 2018.
Entries will be kept strictly confidential and seen only by the nominating and judging committee who sign a confidentiality agreement and do not retain any documentation.
Finalists and Award Winners
The judging process is comprehensive, and all finalists and award winners will be recognized at the event. MTC asks that all finalists be present at the ceremony and the award winners will be announced that evening.